RE: Regiments & Corps of the British Army

#31 by Frothy , Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Grave in Erdington Parish church.
Another job for you chocks. Can you find a photo of HMS Daedalus.

Image00019.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

You can always tell a Brummie but you can't tell him much
http://chriskilmister.wix.com/chris-kilmister

Frothy
Date registered 09.30.2011

#32 by chocks , Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Wow that;s an impressive War Memorial Mr T. It's good to know that thoes who gave their live's in such an awful war are remembered in such a fine way.

Virtus Sine Macula

chocks
Date registered 01.13.2012

#33 by chocks , Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Frothy. 3 sea going ships have bourn the name "Daedalus" but they were all in the 19th Century and there are no known photo's of any of them.

The HMS Daedalus that your man was in was a Naval Air Station at Lee on Solent in Hampshire. I spent the first 8 months of my Naval Career there on the Fire Station and I was attached to the air station for the last four years of my time. I loved the place.

HMS Daedalus was opened in 1917 as a Seaplane base but in 1918 it was handed over to the RAF. In 1939 it returned to the Navy and became the HQ of the Fleet Air Arm it also became the principle Naval Aviation Training Establishment.

Sadly the base closed in 1996 but it is still owned by the MOD and used for many things such as the Search and Rescue base, Police dog training and the home of the military Hovercraft Museum.

Daedalus Main Gate 1970,s.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Main gate 1970's

Daedalus Main Gate 2 years after closing.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Main gate 1998

Daedalus from the air 1930.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) From the air 1930

Daedalus from the air 1998.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) From the air 1998

Airfield Tower 1995.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Part of the Airfield Tower

Daedalus Main Hangars - Swan & Dunning 1998.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Swann and Dunning Hangars
Daedalus 1925 - Fairey IIIF.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Fairey IIIF 1925 Daedalus

Daedalus Airfield 1942 - Fairey Barracuda.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Fairey Barracuda 1942 Daedalus

Daedalus Slipway 1920 - Fairey IIIF.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Fairey IIID Daedalus Slipway 1920

Daedalus Slipway 1940 - Supermarine Walrus.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Supermarine Walrus Daedalus Slipway 1940

Notice your man there was an Airman. The same as me!

Virtus Sine Macula

chocks

Last edited 07.17.2014 | Top

#34 by Frothy , Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 am

Amazing! Thanks Chocks

You can always tell a Brummie but you can't tell him much
http://chriskilmister.wix.com/chris-kilmister

Frothy
Date registered 09.30.2011

#35 by chocks , Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:01 pm

I have loads of pictures of Daedalus but they are all in Albums. Not got round to putting them on the computer yet.

Here's three I missed yesterday.

Hovercraft Trials Unit HMS Daedalus.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Hovercraft Trials Unit 1978.

RN Lighter with Phantom FG1 on Daedalus Slipway.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) RN Lighter carrying Phantom FG1 on slipway

DH SEA HERON HMS DAEDALUS.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) DH Sea Heron at Daedalus

Virtus Sine Macula

chocks

#36 by chocks , Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:16 am

Some more of Daedalus

Supermarine Seafire at Daedalus 1943.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Seafire at Daedalus 1942

Hovercraft SR-N1on Daedalus Slipway 1962.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) SR-N1 on slipway at Daedalus 1962

HMS Daedalus FAA Memorial.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) FAA Memorial HMS Daedalus

HMS Daedalus Hovercraft Museum 1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) HMS Daedalus Hovercraft Museum 2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 2 of the Hovercraft Museum

Virtus Sine Macula

chocks

#37 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:01 am

Quote: Mr T wrote in post #26
Just found this. My step-grandfather.... Was the South African war otherwise known as the Boer war?

I posted this on facebook and had the following replies.....

Terry, beware of the details given by the 'National Roll - they are notoriously inaccurate. Harry Frost went to France on 11 November 1914 with a draft for the Warwicks' 2nd Battalion. The First Battle of Ypres was already over by the time he arrived. He was killed on 18 December 1914, in an attack made by the battalion near Bois-Grenier. He is not buried at Ploegsteert: his name appears on the memorial there as he has no known grave. The battalion's diary for the day reads. 'Attack was started by B Company on the right led by Captain Haddon, advancing in two lines; A Company advanced on the left in two lines with D Company in the centre. C Company formed the third line, with entrenching tools. A machine gun was on each flank. Immediately the attack was opened, the enemy opened a very heavy rifle and machine gun fire. The battalion advanced under this with steadiness, suffering very heavy casualties'. Poor chap.
4 hrs • Like

John Spencer From C.W.G.C
Rank:PrivateService No:1941Date of Death:18/12/1914Age:37Regiment/Service:Royal Warwickshire Regiment 2nd Bn. Panel Reference: Panel 2 and 3. Memorial:PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIALAdditional Information: Husband of Emily Jane Clinton (formerly Frost), of 8, Court, 4, House, Howe St., Birmingham.
55 mins • Like • 1

John Spencer… Tried to find his service record on ancestry, alas it appears to be on of the many that were destroyed by the Luftwaffe.
35 mins • Like

So it throws a slightly different slant on things.

"enythink thiT ken Go rong willl." — Morfy's law

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of beer.

Mr T

BRITISH MILITARY VEHICLES
WW1 POSTAL WORKERS TABLET

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor