Roman Coleshill

#1 by chocks , Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:12 am

Coleshill has a known history dating back over 2000 yrs. In the early 70's the forgotten Roman site was redescovered when work began on construction of the Norton Leas housing estate on the north side of the town. The council gave the archiologists very little time to dig and rescue artifacts however much was found in that 2 or 3 weeks that was alloted to them.
My own house is now built over the eastern corner of the temple site. A significant temple by all accounts dated as AD43 and pre dating every Roman Temple found in the UK with the exception of StAlbans. Also found on the site was a roman baths with it's mosaic floor almost intact. Sadly, only part of the floor was rescued before the bulldozers went in and destroyed what was left.
During the dig, a little further up Grimstock Hill, evidence of a Stone Age round house was found and another small stone circle which is thought to be a Bronze Age temple. Proof of occupation dating back 3 to 4 thousand years. It it thought that Ancient Brittons were still in situ when the Romans came to the area.
No one seems to know how long the Romans remained in the area, but by the time the Saxons arrived there was no evidence that the Romans had been here. Roman finds began to appear in the 1930's when the Cole End and Ennersdale contruction began but sadly no real interest was sparked by anyone at the time.
All the finds from the 30's and the 70's dig are now held in Warwick Museum but much I fear has been lost for ever.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 COLESHILL DIG - THE TEMPLE 2 normal_romandig4.jpg   COLESHILL DIG - THE BATHS.jpg   COLESHILL DIG - THE TEMPLE 1.jpg 

chocks
Date registered 01.13.2012

Last edited 01.29.2012 | Top

RE: Roman Coleshill

#2 by Frothy , Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:28 am

Interesting Chocks. I didn't know about the Romans being at Coleshill. I can't believe the council got away with building on that site.

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies.
Aristotle

Frothy
Date registered 09.30.2011

#3 by Templer , Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:20 am

Fascinating, I'd never heard about it either, some of these town planners are philistines.

Templer
Date registered 10.01.2011

#4 by chocks , Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Zitat von chocks
Coleshill has a known history dating back over 2000 yrs. In the early 70's the forgotten Roman site was redescovered when work began on construction of the Norton Leas housing estate on the north side of the town. The council gave the archiologists very little time to dig and rescue artifacts however much was found in that 2 or 3 weeks that was alloted to them.
My own house is now built over the eastern corner of the temple site. A significant temple by all accounts dated as AD43 and pre dating every Roman Temple found in the UK with the exception of StAlbans. Also found on the site was a roman baths with it's mosaic floor almost intact. Sadly, only part of the floor was rescued before the bulldozers went in and destroyed what was left.
During the dig, a little further up Grimstock Hill, evidence of a Stone Age round house was found and another small stone circle which is thought to be a Bronze Age temple. Proof of occupation dating back 3 to 4 thousand years. It it thought that Ancient Brittons were still in situ when the Romans came to the area.
No one seems to know how long the Romans remained in the area, but by the time the Saxons arrived there was no evidence that the Romans had been here. Roman finds began to appear in the 1930's when the Cole End and Ennersdale contruction began but sadly no real interest was sparked by anyone at the time.
All the finds from the 30's and the 70's dig are now held in Warwick Museum but much I fear has been lost for ever.

Just a note to say I made a slight error so to correct it please read "Iron Age" where I put "Stone Age" Soory if I misled anyone.

chocks

COLESHILL

#5 by chocks , Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:01 am

Cole End Park on this sunny morning.

013.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 014.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 015.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 023.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 024.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 025.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

chocks

RE: COLESHILL

#6 by Frothy , Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Nice park mate. Never been there.

http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/pages/beerboard.php

Frothy
Date registered 09.30.2011

#7 by Sistersue , Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:45 pm

Quote: chocks wrote in post #1
Cole End Park on this sunny morning.

Hubby says did you cross the river on the sewers Chocks!!! - without falling in lol
Sue

Sistersue
Date registered 04.24.2012

#8 by chocks , Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:54 pm

LOL. I only tried that once and I was too old and too drunk at the time. Fell off onto the grass and twisted my ankle. Never again Sue.

chocks

#9 by Sistersue , Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Quote: chocks wrote in post #4
LOL. I only tried that once and I was too old and too drunk at the time. Fell off onto the grass and twisted my ankle. Never again Sue.

Mick says its better if you fall in the water, you don't hurt so much - only drown lol
Sue

Sistersue
Date registered 04.24.2012

#10 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 am

Quote: Frothy wrote in post #2
Nice park mate. Never been there.

Must admit, I havent been there either, and the times I have been in Coleshill as well.

Terry

Mr T

#11 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 am

Coleshill church from the Britainabove website.

coleshill church.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Mr T

#12 by chocks , Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am

Great pic Terry. Not a lot has changed since then.

chocks

#13 by chocks , Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 am

Quote: Sistersue wrote in post #5
Quote: chocks wrote in post #4

Mick says its better if you fall in the water, you don't hurt so much - only drown lol
Sue

Waters only about 2ft deep under there now so dodgy wherever you fall

chocks

#14 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Pubs and licensees in 1874 in the Coleshill area

Inns and Taverns in Coleshill:

Clock Inn William Leeson High Street
Coach and Horses Thomas Farrin High Street
George and Dragon Sophia Tonks Coventry Road
Green Man Jane Hayfield High Street
Lamb Commercial Hotel Anthy. Todd High Street
Railway Inn John Palmer Forge Mills
Red Lion Emma Elliott High Street
Star Inn Jane Harvey High Street
Swan (Commercial and Posting) Hotel William Day High Street
Three Horse Shoes & Birmingham House John Davies High Street
Wheat Sheaf John Margetts Cole End
White Horse Chas. Morris Coventry Road

Mr T

#15 by chocks , Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Just heard that they are going to demolish Father Hudsons and build an old folks home, office units and a small industrial estate on the site.

chocks

Erdington
Stechford

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor