RE: 50 YEARS

#31 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:15 pm

That was an interesting story Chocks, I never knew any of that. You surprised me when you said it was built in the 1920's, I had always assumed it was built in the 19th century, I had no reason to assume that, just that I did.

Terry

Mr T

#32 by chocks , Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:35 pm

I thought it was older too. As I said they purchased the land in 1870 so presumably first built there at about that time. Whether they added on to it in 1920 or built a new building is unclear but I can find no record of it prior to then. Perhaps I'll make that my next project, to find out more.

chocks
Date registered 01.13.2012

#33 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 am

Found a few pics of Coleshill Hall / farm. Would the actual Coleshill Hall be the one that is/was a mental hospital?

coleshill hall 1878.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)coleshill hall farm sketch.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)coleshill hall.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Date 1800 - 1809 (c.).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Mr T
Last edited Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 am | Top

#34 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 am

Number 1 was in 1878. 2 coleshill hall farm sketch. 3 Coleshill Hall recent. 4 dated 1800-1809

No 1 came from the windows on warwickshire website.

Mr T
Last edited Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:39 am | Top

#35 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 am

Terry, great pictures mate. Your 2nd pic' is a little odd because it looks to me like the modern industrial units that were built on Coleshill Hall Farm. My wife worked up there for a while in the office units that were converted from the original stables and that was the view from her office window.
It was a you say, the former Coleshill Hall Hospital but it's all offices now. When the current site owners bought the place and started to redevelope they changed the name to Coleshill Manor because they were worried about the name "Coleshill Hall" being associated with the Mental Hospital.
In my opinion they should have retained the name because there has been a House on that site since the 15th Century and they have all been called Coleshill Hall. The current building being built in 1873.
There is a road up near the George called Hall Walk. It's only a short road now but it used to run (probably as a track) from the top of Coleshill right across the fields to the Hall and that road/track can be seen on a map I have dated 1680 so it must have been known as Hall even back then.

Here's a modern version of your picture 1

258570_d1a7cc2c.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

chocks

Last edited 07.22.2012 | Top

#36 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 am

Terry, I just found this on the net if you look to the right of the hall at the new buildings it will give you an idea where your pic 2 was drawn from.

coalshillbanner.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

chocks

#37 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:37 am

You are probably right chocks, I put Coleshill Hall into google and searched images, that's where the pics came from.

Terry

Mr T

#38 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 am

As an aside, John K Wingfield Digby of the Digby family is living at Sherbourne Castle, Dorset. We went there a couple of years ago while we were exploring Dorset. Here is some info from the web site.

Built by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594 and the stately home of the Digby family since 1617, Sherborne Castle is a Historic House which reflects a glorious variety of decorative styles from over 400 years of English history. 'Capability' Brown created the 50-acre lake in 1753 and gave Sherborne the very latest in landscape gardening, with magnificent specimen trees, borders and sweeping lawns in one of his finest Lakeland landscapes. Come and visit the Castle's rich interiors with its splendid collections of art, furniture and porcelain, together with Raleigh's original kitchen, family artefacts and archaeological 'finds' from the old medieval castle on view in the castle cellars.

Explore 42 acres of beautiful gardens and grounds, and enjoy the beauty, peace and tranquillity of this perfect natural setting. Watch the abundant wildlife on the lake, feed the ducks, have a picnic and walk the dogs. Our Tea Room serves morning coffees, light lunches and delicious afternoon teas. The Gift Shop has a selection of gifts, souvenirs and our very own Sherborne Castle wines.

Terry

Mr T

#39 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:55 am

Looks an interesting place to visit Terry. I like to go there and see it for myself. Maybe I'll try next year. Thanks for the info.

Chocks

chocks

#40 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 am

Took a walk this morning an got these photo's to match some of the other old ones I have.

Grimstock or Grimscote Hill (The name changes every so often, although it has remained Grimstock for a long time now)

grimscote 2012.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) grimscote.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) grimstock hill 2012.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Grimstock Hill 1890.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

chocks

#41 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:59 am

The River then and now taken as near as I can get to the original spot.

the river 2012.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) the river 3882-0.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) the river c2012 (a).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) the river c1900 (a).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

chocks

#42 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:05 am

Another neglected sight in Coleshill. Beggars Well. It's still there under all that undergrowth. I wish the council would clear the sight. I tried to clear it a few years ago and I was moved on by the police with a threat of prosecution for interfearing with a historic structure. Can you believe it?

beggars well - 1884.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) beggars well - 2012.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

chocks

#43 by Mr T ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Wish I had a pound for every time I have drove up and down that hill, I would go out and buy a Rolls Royce. Also, the Cole seems nice and clean now, not in my youth when it carried sewage.

Mr T

#44 by chocks , Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Unbelievably clean now in Coleshill. You can sit down in the park now on the side of the river and actually watch all the fish.

chocks

#45 by chocks , Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:35 pm

I've been doing some research on the previously mentioned farm on Birmingham Rd Coleshill. Here's what I found out.

The land was originaly part of Grymshill Field dating back to Saxon times. When the Digby Family aquired the land in the 14th century they enclosed the land and renamed it Coleshill Hall Farm. In the 17th Century the Digby's started to rent out the piece of land where the current building is. It then became known as Coleshill Hall Subsistance Farm.
At this time it is believed that the first building was erected on the site and it is believed that the foundations and possibly part of the east wall still remains.
In 1870 under the "Enclosures Act", the Digby's were pressurised into selling the land and the family of the current owners were offered 1st refusal. At this point in time, extensive renovation took place with an extension to the house along with building of out-buildings and a barn. The front of the house nearest the road certainly date from this time. The Digby's changed the name of their farm from Coleshill Hall farm to Manor Park during this time thus allowing the owners of the former subsitance farm to retain the name with the exception of the word "Subsitance" and Coleshill Hall Farm as it is today was born.
In 1906 major restoration, renovation and renewal of the property began. The upper floor was totally renovated and an extension was built to the back of the building (That which you now see with breeze blocks in the windows) and new barns were built. This work took 14 years in total with completion in 1920. This is how the building has remained since.
After a failed attempt in the 80's to convert the property to a hotel, I have today found out that planning permission was re-applied for in 2010 and has been granted. The costings for this plan currently stand at £5.5 millions but nothing as yet has happened. I noticed that in the application demolition of the property is called for. However, the building is a Grade 2 listed building so this may be what is holding up any work.

chocks

Last edited 07.25.2012 | Top

Hockley Pictures
Pubs of Coleshill Part 1

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor